Thursday, June 21, 2007

Huckabee 08

The Home School Legal Defense Association has endorsed Mike Huckabee for President:

"We believe that Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas, should be elected the next President of the United States. Mike is a principled conservative, a friend of homeschooling, a man of character, and a man with a mature faith in Jesus Christ."

HSLDA highlighted Mr. Huckabee's strong character as well as his strong politics. Mr. Huckabee is opposed to the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of the Child, a policy that Hillary Clinton is in favor of. HSLDA believes that a true conservative is needed to beat Hillary Clinton:

"Since 1976, no person running for president as a moderate Republican has ever won the election....
- Ford and Dole--both moderates-- lost in 1976 and 1996.
- Reagan, a clear conservative, won landslides in 1980 and 1984.
- George H.W. Bush portrayed himself as a Reagan man in 1988 and won. But as president he violated his famous "read my lips-- no new taxes" pledge, and was defeated in 1992 when it had become clear to America that he was a moderate.
- George W. Bush ran as a conservative and was elected in 2000 and 2004."
... Moderate Republicans simply cannot win the presidency."

Mr. Huckabee certainly has the credentials of a conservative:

"He believes and is willing to say that Islamic extremism needs to be understood as a theologically driven threat. He believes that America must be strong, but should never be perceived as a bully. He believes that our borders must be secured not only from illegal immigration but from the growing trend among American judges of 'illegally importing' international law into our American judicial systems."

He's also funny. My brother Adam and I both agreed on this point after watching portions of the GOP debates. He got a chorus of laughter for his comment that "We've had a Congress that's spent money like John Edwards at a Beauty shop."

At this point, I am definitely going to vote for Mike Huckabee in the Republican primaries.


8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't vote

Brady said...

Have you been unable to become a US citizen?

Toph said...

Huckabee is my second choice, but I'm not sure he has the economic know-how to be president. His fiscal record is not great.

Stephanie said...

I have been allowed to be a U.S. citizen since I was 20. Just never chose to do it.

Brady said...

So it seems to that you --could-- vote if you wanted to.

But I can't make you become a citizen. ;-)

Caitlin said...

Do you really think Huckabee has a chance?

Brady said...

No I don't.

But you vote for the guy you like right?

(I know, I know. Politics is pragmatic right? Arrrgh.)

Caitlin said...

the Home School Legal Defense Association?!? Dude. are you kidding me?